Position Title: Guest Wing Caregiver
Supervisor: Guest Wing Manager
Job Summary: The Foundation is committed to providing excellent, compassionate, around-the-clock, physical and emotional care to terminally ill patients and their families. Volunteer caregivers serve as an integral member of the hospice interdisciplinary team in the Guest Wing setting. Caregivers are held to a high standard in attitude, commitment and performance of duties and responsibilities. Volunteer caregivers assist the Guest Wing Staff in providing hands on care for Guests (with the exception of medication administration) and are therefore vital to providing sufficient staffing to care for all Guests.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist staff in performing all tasks necessary to maintain a high standard of personal hygiene for each Guest including bathing, grooming, toileting, and changing adult undergarments while maintaining personal dignity.
- Assists Guests in their activities of daily living.
- Assists Guests with eating and provides fresh liquids and nourishment between meals.
- Understands and follows procedures for documenting Guest’s care in their individual logbooks.
- Continuously makes rounds to assure Guests’ comfort and safety. Answers call bells promptly.
- Documents duties/observations after each visit in Guests’ flow charts, in volunteer section.
- Communicates in a professional manner and demonstrates respect for Guests, for their families, and for co-workers.
- Is sensitive to the needs of Guests and their families.
- Observes and promptly reports significant Guest changes to Guest Wing staff.
- Behaves in a manner that consistently conveys commitment providing compassionate and excellent care.
- Responds to oral and/or written requests for job performance improvement in a manner that conveys a desire to improve performance.
- Performs any other duties that are assigned including laundry and household chores.
- Provides advance notice of a schedule change for their assigned work shift.
- Returns calls to schedule a shift assignment promptly.
- New volunteers agree to commit to working one four hour shift weekly for the first 12 weeks.
- Demonstrates knowledge and skills necessary to provide patient care.
- Understands job assignments and completes them with confidence maintaining the highest standards of care.
- Follows instructions and meets changing conditions or problem solves in a professional manner.